Saturday, November 10, 2007

Goodbye to my dad...

I deleted my dad's e-mail from my contacts list. Ironically Lucinda Williams' song "Out of Touch" was playing as I did this. My dad's been dead for two years now. Sometimes I still daydream he's alive and he's won the national championship (my dad was a football coach for those who don't know or remember). That's how I related to him pretty much, as a coach. He wasn't a really great father, and I'm sad to say this. But I learned some great values from him, mostly watching him coach. He had an unfailing belief in victory. He always believed in me, when mostly I didn't believe in myself. In that respect he was a terrific father. He could be very, VERY funny. He had a mean temper. He sacrificed his family for his career, and, to some degree, regretted this. I miss him... I miss him VERY much. I'm still angry with him (I'm often angry anyway). My eyes are tearing up as I write this with a lump in my throat. I cried pretty hard at his funeral. So much pain. I miss him so VERY much. How do you fucking deal with loss? You live with it. You carry on. It's fucked up, you know? I tried to talk to him, wrote him letters, he tried to understand me when often I didn't understand myself. I deal with this the best I can, but it's fucked up. But then life isn't pretty or easy. It's a bitch sometimes. My dad had great taste in music- he influenced me a lot in this area. He was VERY opinionated (and usually pretty conservative) to which I rebelled and LOUDLY stated MY goddamn opinions. I'm still doing this lol!
Oh well... let go. Let go. I took out his name, address, & phone number from my address book a long time ago, but never could get myself to delete his e-mail address. I just couldn't let go. Couldn't. fuck this hurts. death sucks, period. i hate this. it just hurts sooooo much. but i'll carry on. if you've lost someone then maybe you know how I feel. it sucks, it's shitty. i'm gonna go listen to some more Lucinda Williams & cry. Peace out.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, death sucks. And the longer we live the more we encounter it. Maybe someday it won't hurt so much. But for now, hold on to your friends (and keep making new ones!). Hold on to your loved ones. And hold on to your memories. They are indeed more precious than gold. Take care. -J.